Meaning of cough
Pronunciation: (kôf, kof), [key]
- to expel air from the lungs suddenly with a harsh noise, often involuntarily.
- (of an internal-combustion engine) to make a similar noise as a result of the failure of one or more cylinders to fire in sequence.
- to make a similar sound, as a machine gun firing in spurts.
- to expel by coughing (usually fol. by up or out): to cough up phlegm.
- After several hours of vigorous questioning by the police, he finally coughed up the information.
- to relinquish, esp. reluctantly; contribute; give.
- to blurt out; state, as by way of making a confession:After several hours of vigorous questioning by the police, he finally coughed up the information.
- the act or sound of coughing.
- an illness characterized by frequent coughing.
- a sound similar to a cough, a machine gun, or an engine firing improperly.
- cough (Thesaurus)