Meaning of construe
Pronunciation: (v.kun-str' or, esp. Brit., kon'strn.kon'str), [key]
— v., n. -strued, -stru•ing,
- to give the meaning or intention of; explain; interpret.
- to deduce by inference or interpretation; infer: He construed her intentions from her gestures.
- to translate, esp. orally.
- to analyze the syntax of; to rehearse the applicable grammatical rules of: to construe a sentence.
- to arrange or combine (words, phrases, etc.) syntactically.
- to admit of grammatical analysis or interpretation.
- the act of construing.
- something that is construed.
- construe (Thesaurus)