Meaning of consecrate
Pronunciation: (kon'si-krāt"), [key]
— v., adj. -crat•ed, -crat•ing,
- to make or declare sacred; set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity: to consecrate a new church building.
- to make (something) an object of honor or veneration; hallow: a custom consecrated by time.
- to devote or dedicate to some purpose: a life consecrated to science.
- to admit or ordain to a sacred office, esp. to the episcopate.
- to change (bread and wine) into the Eucharist.
- consecrated; sacred.
- consecrate (Thesaurus)