consciousness: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kon'shus-nis), [key]
- the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
- the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people: the moral consciousness of a nation.
- full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness after fainting.
- awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
- concern, interest, or acute awareness: class consciousness.
- the mental activity of which a person is aware as contrasted with unconscious mental processes.
- the mind or the mental faculties as characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.
- to increase one's awareness and understanding of one's own needs, behavior, attitudes, etc., esp. as a member of a particular social or political group.
- consciousness (Thesaurus)