conscience: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kon'shuns), [key]
- the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience.
- the complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual.
- an inhibiting sense of what is prudent: I'd eat another piece of pie but my conscience would bother me.
- consciousness; self-knowledge.
- strict and reverential observance.
- to feel guilty about something, as an act that one considers wrong: She behaves as if she had something on her conscience.
- in all reason and fairness.
- certainly; assuredly.
- conscience (Thesaurus)