component: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kum-pō'nunt, kom-), [key]
- a constituent part; element; ingredient.
- a part of a mechanical or electrical system: hi-fi components.
- the projection of a vector quantity, as force or velocity, along an axis.
- one of the set of the minimum number of chemical constituents by which every phase of a given system can be described.
- a connected subset of a set, not contained in any other connected subset of the set.
- a coordinate of a vector.
- base component; transformational component; semantic component; phonological component.
- one of the major subdivisions of a generative grammar:base component; transformational component; semantic component; phonological component.Cf. level (def. 17).
- a feature determined by componential analysis.
- being or serving as an element (in something larger); composing; constituent: the component parts of a computer system.
- component (Thesaurus)