competence: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kom'pi-tuns), [key]
- the quality of being competent; adequacy; possession of required skill, knowledge, qualification, or capacity: He hired her because of her competence as an accountant.
- sufficiency; a sufficient quantity.
- an income sufficient to furnish the necessities and modest comforts of life.
- (of a witness, a party to a contract, etc.) legal capacity or qualification based on the meeting of certain minimum requirements of age, soundness of mind, citizenship, or the like.
- the sum total of possible developmental responses of any group of blastemic cells under varied external conditions.
- the implicit, internalized knowledge of a language that a speaker possesses and that enables the speaker to produce and understand the language. Cf. performance (def. 8).
- the ability of a fluid medium, as a stream or the wind, to move and carry particulate matter, measured by the size or weight of the largest particle that can be transported.
- competence (Thesaurus)