Meaning of comment
Pronunciation: (kom'ent), [key]
- a remark, observation, or criticism: a comment about the weather.
- gossip; talk: His frequent absences gave rise to comment.
- a criticism or interpretation, often by implication or suggestion: The play is a comment on modern society.
- a note in explanation, expansion, or criticism of a passage in a book, article, or the like; annotation.
- explanatory or critical matter added to a text.
- Also calledthe part of a sentence that communicates new information about the topic. Cf. topic (def. 4).
- to make remarks, observations, or criticisms: He refused to comment on the decision of the court.
- to write explanatory or critical notes upon a text.
- to make comments or remarks on; furnish with comments; annotate.
- comment (Thesaurus)