commanding: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ku-man'ding, -män'-), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- being in command: a commanding officer.
- appreciably superior or imposing; winning; sizable: a commanding position; a commanding lead in the final period.
- having the air, tone, etc., of command; imposing; authoritative: a man of commanding appearance; a commanding voice.
- dominating by position, usually elevation; overlooking: a commanding bluff at the mouth of the river.
- (of a view, or prospect) provided by a commanding location and so permitting dominance: a commanding view of the mouth of the river.