Meaning of comfort
Pronunciation: (kum'furt), [key]
- to soothe, console, or reassure; bring cheer to: They tried to comfort her after her loss.
- to make physically comfortable.
- to aid; support or encourage.
- relief in affliction; consolation; solace: Her presence was a comfort to him.
- a feeling of relief or consolation: Her forgiveness afforded him great comfort.
- a person or thing that gives consolation: She was a great comfort to him.
- a cause or matter of relief or satisfaction: The patient's recovery was a comfort to the doctor.
- a state of ease and satisfaction of bodily wants, with freedom from pain and anxiety: He is a man who enjoys his comfort.
- something that promotes such a state: His wealth allows him to enjoy a high degree of comfort.
- a comforter or quilt.
- strengthening aid; assistance.
- comfort (Thesaurus)