Meaning of comedy
Pronunciation: (kom'i-dē), [key]
— pl. -dies.
- a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.
- that branch of the drama which concerns itself with this form of composition.
- the comic element of drama, of literature generally, or of life.
- any literary composition dealing with a theme suitable for comedy, or employing the methods of comedy.
- any comic or humorous incident or series of incidents.
- comedy (Thesaurus)