college: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kol'ij), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- an institution of higher learning, esp. one providing a general or liberal arts education rather than technical or professional training. Cf. university.
- a constituent unit of a university, furnishing courses of instruction in the liberal arts and sciences, usually leading to a bachelor's degree.
- an institution for vocational, technical, or professional instruction, as in medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, or music, often a part of a university.
- an endowed, self-governing association of scholars incorporated within a university, as at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge in England.
- a similar corporation outside a university.
- the building or buildings occupied by an institution of higher education.
- the administrators, faculty, and students of a college.
- (in Britain and Canada) a private secondary school.
- an organized association of persons having certain powers and rights, and performing certain duties or engaged in a particular pursuit: The electoral college formally selects the president.
- a company; assemblage.
- Also calleda body of clergy living together on a foundation for religious service or similar activity.
- a prison.