cluster: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (klus'tur), [key]
- a number of things of the same kind, growing or held together; a bunch: a cluster of grapes.
- a group of things or persons close together: There was a cluster of tourists at the gate.
- a small metal design placed on a ribbon representing an awarded medal to indicate that the same medal has been awarded again: oak-leaf cluster.
- a succession of two or more contiguous consonants in an utterance, as the str- cluster of strap.
- a group of neighboring stars, held together by mutual gravitation, that have essentially the same age and composition and thus supposedly a common origin. Cf. globular cluster, open cluster, stellar association.
- to gather into a cluster or clusters.
- to furnish or cover with clusters.
- to form a cluster or clusters: The people clustered around to watch.
- cluster (Thesaurus)