chop: Meaning and Definition of
— v., n. chopped, chop•ping,
- to cut or sever with a quick, heavy blow or a series of blows, using an ax, hatchet, etc. (often fol. by down, off, etc.): to chop down a tree.
- to make or prepare for use by so cutting: to chop logs.
- to cut in pieces; mince (often fol. by up): to chop up an onion; to chop meat.
- (in tennis, cricket, etc.) to hit (a ball) with a chop stroke.
- to weed and thin out (growing cotton) with a hoe.
- (of a hound or pack) to attack and kill (a fox that has not begun to run).
- to make a quick, heavy stroke or a series of strokes, as with an ax.
- to throw or deliver a short blow, esp. a downward one while in a clinch.
- (in tennis, cricket, etc.) to employ or deliver a chop stroke.
- to go, come, or move suddenly or violently.
- See(def. 49).
- an act or instance of chopping.
- a cutting blow.
- a short blow, esp. a downward one, executed while in a clinch.
- a piece chopped off.
- an individual cut or portion of meat, as mutton, lamb, veal, or pork, usually one containing a rib.
- crushed or ground grain used as animal feed.
- a short, irregular, broken motion of waves; choppiness: There's too much chop for rowing today.
- rough, turbulent water, as of a sea or lake.
— chopped, chop•ping.
- to turn, shift, or change suddenly: The wind chopped to the west.
- to vacillate; change one's mind.
- to barter.
- to bandy words; argue.
- to reason or dispute argumentatively; draw unnecessary distinctions.
- Usually,the jaw.
- the oral cavity; mouth.
- Slang.the embouchure or technique necessary to play a wind instrument.
- Slang.musical ability on any instrument, esp. in playing jazz or rock; technical virtuosity.
- Slang.the music or musical part played by an instrumentalist, esp. a solo passage.
- an entranceway, as into a body of water.
- either of two pieces clasping the end of the suspension spring of a pendulum.
- to exert oneself.
- to annoy with nagging or criticism: Stop busting my chops —I'll get the job done.
- to await with pleasure; anticipate; relish: He was already licking his chops over the expected inheritance.
- an official stamp or seal, or a permit or clearance, esp. as formerly used in India and China.
- a design, corresponding to a brand or trademark, stamped on goods to indicate their identity or quality.
- the signature stamp of an artist, printmaker, etc., testifying to the authenticity of a work.
- quality, class, or grade: a musician of the first chop.
- chop (Thesaurus)