chancellor: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (chan'su-lur, -slur, chän'-), [key]
- the chief minister of state in certain parliamentary governments, as in Germany; prime minister; premier.
- the chief administrative officer in certain American universities.
- a secretary, as to a king or noble or of an embassy.
- the priest in charge of a Roman Catholic chancery.
- the title of various important judges and other high officials.
- (in some states of the U.S.) the judge of a court of equity or chancery.
- the honorary, nonresident, titular head of a university. Cf. vice-chancellor.
- chancellor (Thesaurus)