Meaning of ceremony
Pronunciation: (ser'u-mō"nē), [key]
— pl. -nies.
- the formal activities conducted on some solemn or important public or state occasion: the coronation ceremony.
- a formal religious or sacred observance; a solemn rite: a marriage ceremony.
- formal observances or gestures collectively; ceremonial observances: The breathless messenger had no time for ceremony.
- any formal act or observance, esp. a meaningless one: His low bow was mere ceremony.
- a gesture or act of politeness or civility: the ceremony of a handshake.
- strict adherence to conventional forms; formality: to leave a room without ceremony.
- to behave in a formal or ceremonious manner.
- ceremony (Thesaurus)