century: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sen'chu-rē), [key]
— pl. -ries.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- a period of 100 years.
- one of the successive periods of 100 years reckoned forward or backward from a recognized chronological epoch, esp. from the assumed date of the birth of Jesus.
- any group or collection of 100: a century of limericks.
- (in the ancient Roman army) a company, consisting of approximately 100 men.
- one of the voting divisions of the ancient Roman people, each division having one vote.
- (cap.)a style of type.
- a hundred-dollar bill; 100 dollars.
- a race of 100 yards or meters, as in track or swimming, or of 100 miles, as in bicycle racing.
- a score of at least 100 runs made by one batsman in a single inning.