Meaning of catch-up
Pronunciation: (kach'up"), [key]
- an effort to reach or pass a norm, esp. after a period of delay: After the slowdown there was a catch-up in production.
- an effort to catch up with or surpass a competitor, as in a sports contest.
- an instance of catching up.
- to make a special effort to overcome a late start, a liability, or the advantage a competitor has: After Russia launched the first space satellite, other countries had to play catch-up.
- intended to keep up with or surpass a norm or competitor: a catch-up pay raise to offset inflation.
Pronunciation: (kach'up, kech'-), [key]
- catch-up (Thesaurus)