carve: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kärv), [key]
— v., carved, carv•ing.
- to cut (a solid material) so as to form something: to carve a piece of pine.
- to form from a solid material by cutting: to carve a statue out of stone.
- to cut into slices or pieces, as a roast of meat.
- to decorate with designs or figures cut on the surface: The top of the box was beautifully carved with figures of lions and unicorns.
- to cut (a design, figures, etc.) on a surface: Figures of lions and unicorns were carved on the top of the box.
- to make or create for oneself (often fol. by out): He carved out a career in business.
- to carve figures, designs, etc.
- to cut meat.
- carve (Thesaurus)