Meaning of carriage
Pronunciation: (kar'ij for 9 also kar'ē&sylpij), [key]
- a wheeled vehicle for conveying persons, as one drawn by horses and designed for comfort and elegance.
- a railway passenger coach.
- a wheeled support, as for a cannon.
- a movable part, as of a machine, designed for carrying something.
- manner of carrying the head and body; bearing: the carriage of a soldier.
- Also calledan inclined beam, as a string, supporting the steps of a stair.
- the act of transporting; conveyance: the expenses of carriage.
- the price or cost of transportation.
- (in a typewriter) the moving part carrying the platen and its associated parts, usually set in motion to carry the paper across the point where the print element or type bars strike.
- management; administration.
- carriage (Thesaurus)