canton: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kan'tn, -ton, kan-ton' for 1–7 kan-ton', -tōn'&wdspcor,esp. Brit.,-t&oomacrn' for 8), [key]
- a small territorial district, esp. one of the states of the Swiss confederation.
- (in a department of France) a division of an arrondissement.
- a square area in the dexter chief, or right-hand corner, of an escutcheon, often distinctively treated: a diminutive of the dexter chief quarter.
- a pilaster or similar feature projecting from the corner of a building.
- a division, part, or portion of anything.
- to divide into parts or portions.
- to divide into cantons or territorial districts.
- to allot quarters to (soldiers, troops, etc.).
Pronunciation: (kan-ton', kan'ton for 1 kan'tn for 2–5), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- Also calleda seaport in and the capital of Guangdong province, in SE China, on the Zhu Jiang. 3,000,000.
- a city in NE Ohio: location of the football Hall of Fame. 94,730.
- a city in E Massachusetts. 18,182.
- a city in W central Illinois. 14,626.
- a town in central Mississippi. 11,116.