cane: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kān), [key]
— n., v., caned, can•ing.
- a stick or short staff used to assist one in walking; walking stick.
- a long, hollow or pithy, jointed woody stem, as that of bamboo, rattan, sugar cane, and certain palms.
- a plant having such a stem.
- split rattan woven or interlaced for chair seats, wickerwork, etc.
- any of several tall bamboolike grasses, esp. of the genus Arundinaria, as A. giganteaand A. tectaof the southern U.S.
- the stem of a raspberry or blackberry.
- a rod used for flogging.
- a slender cylinder or rod, as of sealing wax or glass.
- to flog with a cane.
- to furnish or make with cane: to cane chairs.
- cane (Thesaurus)