Meaning of caliper
Pronunciation: (kal'u-pur), [key]
- Usually,an instrument for measuring thicknesses and internal or external diameters inaccessible to a scale, consisting usually of a pair of adjustable pivoted legs.
- any of various calibrated instruments for measuring thicknesses or distances between surfaces, usually having a screwed or sliding adjustable piece. Cf. vernier caliper.
- thickness or depth, as of paper or a tree.
- Usually,the pincers of an earwig.
- the part of a disc-brake assembly that straddles the disc and presses the brake pads against it. See illus. under
- a similar part used with a hand brake on a bicycle.
- to measure with calipers.
- to use calipers.
- caliper (Thesaurus)