Meaning of calculate
Pronunciation: (kal'kyu-lāt"), [key]
— v., -lat•ed, -lat•ing.
- to determine or ascertain by mathematical methods; compute: to calculate the velocity of light.
- to determine by reasoning, common sense, or practical experience; estimate; evaluate; gauge.
- to make suitable or fit for a purpose; adapt (usually used passively and with an infinitive): His remarks were calculated to inspire our confidence.
- to think; guess.
- to intend; plan.
- to make a computation or form an estimate.
- to count or rely (usually fol. by on or upon): They calculated on good weather.
- calculate (Thesaurus)