Meaning of butterfly
Pronunciation: (but'ur-flī"), [key]
— n., pl. v., adj. -flies, -flied, -fly•ing,
- any of numerous diurnal insects of the order Lepidoptera, characterized by clubbed antennae, a slender body, and large, broad, often conspicuously marked wings.
- a person who flits aimlessly from one interest or group to another: a social butterfly.
- a queasy feeling, as from nervousness, excitement, etc.
- a racing breaststroke, using a dolphin kick, in which the swimmer brings both arms out of the water in forward, circular motions.
- an-shaped support attached to an armature.
- one of the swinging brackets of a butterfly table.
- a screen of scrim, gauze, or similar material, for diffusing light.
- to slit open and spread apart to resemble the spread wings of a butterfly.
- butterfly (Thesaurus)