business: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (biz'nis), [key]
- an occupation, profession, or trade: His business is poultry farming.
- the purchase and sale of goods in an attempt to make a profit.
- a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce, manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern.
- volume of trade; patronage: Most of the store's business comes from local families.
- a building or site where commercial work is carried on, as a factory, store, or office; place of work: His business is on the corner of Broadway and Elm Street.
- that with which a person is principally and seriously concerned: Words are a writer's business.
- something with which a person is rightfully concerned: What they are doing is none of my business.
- affair; project: We were exasperated by the whole business.
- an assignment or task; chore: It's your business to wash the dishes now.
- Also calleda movement or gesture, esp. a minor one, used by an actor to give expressiveness, drama, detail, etc., to a scene or to help portray a character.
- excrement: used as a euphemism.
- profit has precedence over personal considerations: He is reluctant to fire his friend, but business is business.
- (usually of an animal or child) to defecate or urinate: housebreaking a puppy to do his business outdoors.
- to apply oneself to serious matters; concentrate on work: They finally got down to business and signed the contract.
- Instead of a straight answer they give him the business with a needless run-around.
- to make difficulties for someone; treat harshly:Instead of a straight answer they give him the business with a needless run-around.
- to scold severely; give a tongue-lashing to:The passengers will give the bus driver the business if he keeps driving so recklessly.
- to have no right: You have no business coming into this house.
- to propose to take action or be serious in intent; be in earnest: By the fire in his eye we knew that he meant business.
- to refrain from meddling in the affairs of others: When he inquired about the noise coming from the neighbor's apartment, he was told to mind his own business.
- of, noting, or pertaining to business, its organization, or its procedures.
- containing, suitable for, or welcoming business or commerce: New York is a good business town.
- business (Thesaurus)