buckskin: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (buk'skin"), [key]
- the skin of a buck or deer.
- a strong, soft, yellowish or grayish leather, originally prepared from deerskins, now usually from sheepskins.
- breeches or shoes made of buckskin.
- a stiff, firm, starched cotton cloth with a smooth surface and napped back.
- a sturdy wool fabric constructed in satin weave, napped and cropped short to provide a smooth finish, and used in the manufacture of outer garments.
- a person, esp. a backwoodsman, dressed in buckskin.
- a horse the color of buckskin.
- made of buckskin: buckskin gloves.
- having the color of buckskin; yellowish or grayish.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.