broach: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (brōch), [key]
- an elongated, tapered, serrated cutting tool for shaping and enlarging holes.
- a spit for roasting meat.
- a gimlet for tapping casks.
- (in a lock) a pin receiving the barrel of a key.
- an octagonal spire rising directly from a tower without any intervening feature.
- a pointed tool for the rough dressing of stone.
- to enlarge and finish with a broach.
- to mention or suggest for the first time: to broach a subject.
- to draw (beer, liquor, etc.), as by tapping: to broach beer from a keg.
- to tap or pierce.
- to shape or dress (a block of stone).
- (of a sailing vessel) to veer to windward.
- to break the surface of water; rise from the sea, as a fish or a submarine.
- broach (Thesaurus)