Meaning of bribe
Pronunciation: (brīb), [key]
— n., v., bribed, brib•ing.
- money or any other valuable consideration given or promised with a view to corrupting the behavior of a person, esp. in that person's performance as an athlete, public official, etc.: The motorist offered the arresting officer a bribe to let him go.
- anything given or serving to persuade or induce: The children were given candy as a bribe to be good.
- to give or promise a bribe to: They bribed the reporter to forget about what he had seen.
- to influence or corrupt by a bribe: The judge was too honest to be bribed.
- to give a bribe; practice bribery.
- bribe (Thesaurus)