[Chancery Lane, London]. So called from the records kept there in rolls of parchment. The house was originally built by Henry III, for converted Jews, and was called “Domus Conversorum.” It was Edward III, who appropriated the place to the conservation of records. “Conversi” means laymonks. (Ducange, vol. ii. p. 703.)
Glover's Roll. A copy of the lost Roll of Arms, made by Glover, Somerset herald. It is a roll of the arms borne by Henry III., his princes of the blood, barons, and knights, between 1216 and 1272.
The Roll of Caerlaverock. An heraldic poem in Norman-French, reciting the names and arms of the knights present at the siege of Caerlaverock, in 1300.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894