Port Royal Society
In 1637, Le Maître, a celebrated advocate, resigned the honour of being Counseiller d'Etat, and with his brother De Sericourt consecrated himself to the service of religion. The two brothers retired to a small house near the Port Royal of Paris, where in time they were joined by their three other brothers- De Sacy, De St. Elme, and De Valmont. Afterwards, being obliged to remove, they fixed their residence a short distance from the city, and called it Port Royal des Champs. These illustrious recluses were subsequently joined by other distinguished persons, and the community was called the Society of Port Royal.