(Greek, pente polis.)
(1) The five cities of the plain: Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zeboim, and Zoar, four of which were consumed with fire, and their site covered with the Lake Asphaltites, or the Dead Sea.
(2) The five cities of Oyrenaica, in Egypt: Berenice, Arsinoe, Ptolemais, Cyrene, and Apollonia.
(3) The five cities of the Philistines Gaza, Gath, Ascalon, Ashdod, and Ekron.
(4) The five cites of Italy in the exarchate of Ravenna. Rimini, Pesaro, Fano, Sinigaglia, and Ancona. These were given by Pepin to the Pope.
(5) The Dorian pentapolis: Cnidos, Cos, Lindos, Ialysos, and Camiros.