breve: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (brēv, brev), [key]
- a mark (˘) over a vowel to show that it is short, or to indicate a specific pronunciation, as ŭ in (kŭt) cut.
- an initial writ.
- a writ, as one issued by a court of law.
- the longest modern note, equivalent to two semibreves or whole notes. See illus. undernote.
- Also,brevis.a note in medieval mensural notation equal to one-half or one-third of a longa.
- a mark (˘) over a syllable to show that it is not stressed.
- breve (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.