Meaning of brass
Pronunciation: (bras, bräs), [key]
- any of various metal alloys consisting mainly of copper and zinc.
- a utensil, ornament, or other article made of such an alloy.
- Seebrass instrument.
- brass instruments collectively in a band or orchestra.
- metallic yellow; lemon, amber, or reddish yellow.
- high-ranking military officers.
- any very important officials.
- excessive self-assurance; impudence; effrontery.
- a replaceable semicylindrical shell, usually of bronze, used with another such to line a bearing; a half bushing. See diag. under
- a memorial tablet or plaque, often incised with an effigy, coat of arms, or the like.
- any piece of ornamental or functional hardware, as a drawer pull, made of brass.
- of, made of, or pertaining to brass.
- composed for or using musical instruments made of brass.
- having the color brass.
- brass (Thesaurus)