Meaning of blue ribbon
- the highest award or distinction, as the first prize in a contest: His entry at the state fair won a blue ribbon.
- a blue ribbon worn as a badge of honor, esp. by members of the Order of the Garter of the British knighthood.
- (caps.) (formerly) a prize awarded to an ocean liner making the fastest recorded trip across the Atlantic Ocean between Ambrose Lightship and Bishop Rock.
- a badge used by some temperance organizations to indicate a pledge of abstinence from alcohol.
Pronunciation: (bl'rib'un), [key]
- of superior quality or prominence; first-rate; specially selected: a blue-ribbon committee of fund-raisers.
- blue ribbon (Thesaurus)