Meaning of blowhole
Pronunciation: (blō'hōl"), [key]
- an air or gas vent, esp. one to carry off fumes from a tunnel, underground passage, etc.
- either of two nostrils or spiracles, or a single one, at the top of the head in whales and other cetaceans, through which they breathe.
- a hole in the ice to which whales or seals come to breathe.
- a defect in a casting or ingot caused by the escape of gas.
- a hole in a sea cliff or coastal terrace through which columns of spray are jetted upward.
- blowhole (Thesaurus)