blanket: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (blang'kit), [key]
- a large, rectangular piece of soft fabric, often with bound edges, used esp. for warmth as a bed covering.
- a similar piece of fabric used as a covering for a horse, dog, etc.
- the chief garment traditionally worn by some American Indians.
- any extended covering or layer: a blanket of snow.
- (in a press for offset printing) the rubber-covered cylinder to which an inked impression is transferred from the plate for transfer directly to the paper.
- (in a press for letterpress printing) the resilient covering on the cylinder against which the paper is pressed in printing.
- a thick roll or strip of material for thermal insulation.
- born out of wedlock.
- to cover with or as with a blanket: wild flowers blanketing the hillside.
- to obscure or obstruct; interfere with; overpower (usually fol. by out): An electrical storm blanketed out the radio program.
- to toss (someone) in a blanket, as in fraternity hazing.
- (of a vessel) to take wind from the sails of (another vessel) by passing closely to windward.
- covering or intended to cover a large group or class of things, conditions, situations, etc.: a blanket proposal; a blanket indictment.
- blanket (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.