Meaning of blackbird
Pronunciation: (blak'bûrd"), [key]
- a common European thrush, Turdus merula, the male of which is black with a yellow bill.
- any of several American birds of the family Icteridae, having black plumage. Cf. crow blackbird, red-winged blackbird, rusty blackbird.
- any of several other unrelated birds having black plumage in either or both sexes.
- (formerly) a person, esp. a Kanaka, who was kidnapped and sold abroad, usually in Australia, as a slave.
- to kidnap (a person), as in blackbirding.
- to engage in blackbirding.
- blackbird (Thesaurus)