bend: Meaning and Definition of
— v., n. bent bend bend•ing,
- to force (an object, esp. a long or thin one) from a straight form into a curved or angular one, or from a curved or angular form into some different form: to bend an iron rod into a hoop.
- to direct or turn in a particular direction: to bend one's energies to the task.
- to cause to submit or yield: to bend someone to one's will.
- to modify or relax (restrictions, regulations, etc.) temporarily or in certain circumstances: to bend the rules.
- to incline mentally (usually fol. by to or toward): bending his thoughts back toward his childhood.
- to pull back the string of (a bow or the like) in preparation for shooting.
- to fasten.
- to strain or brace tensely (often fol. by up).
- to become curved, crooked, or bent: a bow that bends easily.
- to assume a bent posture; stoop (often fol. by over): to bend as one walks; to bend over and pick up something.
- to turn or incline in a particular direction; be directed: The road bent toward the south.
- to yield or submit; give in.
- to bow in submission or reverence: bending to one's monarch.
- to direct one's energies: We bent to our work as the bell sounded.
- to exert oneself to the utmost; make a serious effort: They bent over backward to make sure their guests were comfortable.
- the act of bending.
- something that bends; curve; crook: a bend in the road; a bend in the curtain rod.
- any of various loops or knots for joining the ends of two ropes or the like, or for joining the end of a rope or the like to some other object.
- thick planking immediately below the waterways of a wooden vessel.
- the wales of a vessel.
- aeroembolism (def. 2).
- insane; crazy: These interruptions will send me round the bend!
- a diagonal band extending from the dexter chief of an escutcheon to the sinister base. Cf. bend sinister.
- in bend,(of a charge) set diagonally or in a diagonal row.
- half of a trimmed butt or hide. See diag. under
- a city in central Oregon. 17,263.
- bend (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.