belong: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bi-lông', -long'), [key]
- to be in the relation of a member, adherent, inhabitant, etc. (usually fol. by to): He belongs to the Knights of Columbus.
- to have the proper qualifications, esp. social qualifications, to be a member of a group: You don't belong in this club.
- to be proper or due; be properly or appropriately placed, situated, etc.: Books belong in every home. This belongs on the shelf. He is a statesman who belongs among the great.
- The book belongs to her.
- to be the property of:The book belongs to her.
- to be a part or adjunct of:That cover belongs to this jar.
- belong (Thesaurus)