behind: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bi-hīnd'), [key]
- at or toward the rear of: Look behind the house.
- not keeping up with, later than; after: behind schedule.
- in the state of making less progress than: We can't afford to fall behind our competitors.
- on the farther side of; beyond: behind the mountain.
- originating, supporting, or promoting: Who's behind this program?
- hidden or unrevealed by: Malice lay behind her smile.
- at the controls of: behind the wheel of a car.
- at or toward the rear; rearward: to lag behind.
- in a place, state, or stage already passed.
- in arrears; behindhand: to be behind in one's rent.
- slow, as a watch or clock: more than 20 minutes behind.
- as a cause or often latent feature of: Behind their harassment lay the traditional fear of foreigners.
- in a situation that exists afterward: The victim left behind a large family.
- in reserve; to come: Greater support is yet behind.
- following: the man behind.
- the buttocks.
- behind (Thesaurus)