Meaning of beggar
Pronunciation: (beg'ur), [key]
- a person who begs alms or lives by begging.
- a penniless person.
- a wretched fellow; rogue: the surly beggar who collects the rents.
- a child or youngster (usually prec. by little): a sudden urge to hug the little beggar.
- to reduce to utter poverty; impoverish: The family had been beggared by the war.
- to cause one's resources of or ability for (description, comparison, etc.) to seem poor or inadequate: The costume beggars description.
- beggar (Thesaurus)