Meaning of bearing
Pronunciation: (bâr'ing), [key]
- the manner in which one conducts or carries oneself, including posture and gestures: a man of dignified bearing.
- the act, capability, or period of producing or bringing forth: a tree past bearing.
- something that is produced; a crop.
- the act of enduring or capacity to endure.
- reference or relation (usually fol. by on): It has some bearing on the problem.
- a supporting part of a structure.
- the area of contact between a bearing member, as a beam, and a pier, wall, or other underlying support.
- the support and guide for a rotating, oscillating, or sliding shaft, pivot, or wheel.
- Often,direction or relative position: The pilot radioed his bearings.
- a horizontal direction expressed in degrees east or west of a true or magnetic north or south direction.
- any single device on an escutcheon; charge.
- bearing (Thesaurus)