bead: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bēd), [key]
- a small, usually round object of glass, wood, stone, or the like with a hole through it, often strung with others of its kind in necklaces, rosaries, etc.
- You don't have your beads on this evening.
- a necklace of beads:You don't have your beads on this evening.
- a rosary.
- Obs.devotions; prayers.
- any small globular or cylindrical body.
- a drop of liquid: beads of moisture.
- a bubble rising through effervescent liquid.
- Usually,a mass of such bubbles on the surface of a liquid.
- the front sight of a rifle or gun.
- a reinforced area of a rubber tire terminating the sidewall and fitting within the rim of a wheel. See illus. under
- a glass, ceramic, or plastic insulator that contains and supports the inner conductor in a coaxial cable.
- a globule of borax or some other flux, supported on a platinum wire, in which a small amount of some substance is heated in a flame as a test for its constituents.
- the rounded mass of refined metal obtained by cupellation.
- a small molding having a convex circular section and, usually, a continuous cylindrical surface; astragal.
- a continuous deposit of fused metal, either straightor zigzag
- to say one's prayers, using rosary beads: There were a few old women counting their beads in the hushed silence of the chapel.
- to take careful aim at: The marksman drew a bead on his target.
- to form or cause to form beads or a bead on.
- to ornament with beads.
- to form a bead on (a piece).
- to form beads; form in beads or drops: perspiration beading on his forehead.
- bead (Thesaurus)