bass: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bās), [key]
- low in pitch; of the lowest pitch or range: a bass voice; a bass instrument.
- of or pertaining to the lowest part in harmonic music.
- the bass part.
- a bass voice, singer, or instrument.
— pl. bass, bass•es.
- any of numerous edible, spiny-finned, freshwater or marine fishes of the families Serranidae and Centrarchidae.
- (originally) the European perch, Perca fluviatilis.
- the basswood or linden.
- 1851–78, U.S. outlaw: bank and train robber in the West.
- bass (Thesaurus)