barbarian: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bär-bâr'ē-un), [key]
- a person in a savage, primitive state; uncivilized person.
- a person without culture, refinement, or education; philistine.
- (loosely) a foreigner.
- (in ancient and medieval periods)
- a non-Greek.
- a person living outside, esp. north of, the Roman Empire.
- a person not living in a Christian country or within a Christian civilization.
- (among Italians during the Renaissance) a person of non-Italian origin.
- uncivilized; crude; savage.
- foreign; alien.
- barbarian (Thesaurus)