bankrupt: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bangk'rupt, -rupt), [key]
- a person who upon his or her own petition or that of his or her creditors is adjudged insolvent by a court and whose property is administered for and divided among his or her creditors under a bankruptcy law.
- any insolvent debtor; a person unable to satisfy any just claims made upon him or her.
- a person who is lacking in a particular thing or quality: a moral bankrupt.
- subject to or under legal process because of insolvency; insolvent.
- at the end of one's resources; lacking (usually fol. by of or in): bankrupt of compassion; bankrupt in good manners.
- pertaining to bankrupts or bankruptcy.
- to make bankrupt: His embezzlement bankrupted the company.
- bankrupt (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.