Meaning of balsam
Pronunciation: (bôl'sum), [key]
- any of various fragrant exudations from certain trees, esp. trees of the genus Commiphora, as balm-of-Gilead. Cf.(def. 1).
- the similar products yielded by the leguminous trees Myroxylon pereirae and M. balsamum, of South America. Cf.
- oleoresin (def. 1).
- any of certain transparent turpentines, as Canada balsam.
- a plant or tree yielding a balsam.
- any of several plants belonging to the genus Impatiens, as I. balsamina, a common garden annual. Cf.
- any aromatic ointment for ceremonial or medicinal use.
- any agency that heals, soothes, or restores: the balsam of understanding and appreciation.
- balsam (Thesaurus)