Meaning of balm
Pronunciation: (bäm), [key]
- any of various oily, fragrant, resinous substances, often of medicinal value, exuding from certain plants, esp. tropical trees of the genus Commiphora.
- a plant or tree yielding such a substance.
- any aromatic or fragrant ointment.
- aromatic fragrance; sweet odor: the balm of orange blossoms.
- any of various aromatic plants of the mint family, esp. those of the genus Melissa, as M. officinalis having ovate lemon-scented leaves used as a seasoning.
- anything that heals, soothes, or mitigates pain: the balm of friendship in troubled times.
- balm (Thesaurus)