autochthonous: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ô-tok'thu-nus), [key]
- pertaining to autochthons; aboriginal; indigenous (opposed to heterochthonous).
- found in the part of the body in which it originates, as a cancerous lesion.
- found in a locality in which it originates, as an infectious disease.
- of or pertaining to ideas that arise independently of the individual's own train of thought and seem instead to have some alien or external agency as their source.
- (of rocks, minerals, etc.) formed in the region where found. Cf. allochthonous.
- autochthonous (Thesaurus)